This policy was last updated on January 25, 2016.
1. Information We Collect
We may collect personal information that can identify you, such as your name and email address, and other information that may not identify you. When you access our website or provide personal information through our website, the information may be sent to servers located in the United States and other countries around the world.
1.1 Information You Provide
We may collect and store any personal information you provide when visiting our website including, for example, personal information that may be contained in any video, text, comment, or other submission you upload or post to DNAcademy. This includes identifying information, such as your name, address, email address, and telephone number; your likeness; and, if you transact business with us, financial information such as your payment method (credit card number, type, expiration date or other financial information).
1.2 Information About Others
We may also collect and store personal information about other people that you provide to us. If you use our website to upload, share and/or distribute content (including videos, comments or other submissions), and such content contains personal information about others, such information may be stored in order to allow for such uploading, sharing and/or distribution.
1.3 Information Collected Automatically
We automatically collect information from your browser when you visit our website. This information may include your IP address, your browser type and language, access times, the content of any undeleted cookies that your browser previously accepted from us, and the referring website address.
When you visit our website, we may assign your computer one or more cookies to facilitate access to our site and to personalize your online experience. Through the use of a cookie, we also may automatically collect information about your online activity on our site, such as the web pages you visit, which lessons you complete, the links you click, and the searches you conduct on our site. Most browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you choose. If you choose to decline cookies, please note that you may not be able to sign in or use some of the features offered on our website.
2. How We Use the Information We Collect
We may use information that we collect about you to:
- Deliver the products and services that you have requested
- Manage your account and provide you with customer support
- Perform research and analysis about your use of, or interest in, our products, services, or content or products, services or content offered by third parties
- Communicate with you by email about our products and services
- Develop and display content and advertising tailored to your interests on our site and other sites
- Verify your eligibility and deliver prizes in connection with contests and sweepstakes
- Enforce our terms and conditions and manage our business
Financial information: We use financial information or payment information to process payment for any purchases, subscriptions or sales made within DNAcademy, to protect against or identify possible fraudulent transactions, and otherwise as needed to manage our business.
3. Information Sharing
We want you to understand when and with whom we may share personal or other information we have collected about you or your activities on our website or while using our services.
3.1 Personal Information
We do not share your personal information with others except as indicated below or when we inform you of the disclosure. We may share personal information with:
- Authorized service providers: We may share your personal information with our authorized service providers that perform certain services on our behalf. These services may include processing credit card payments, providing customer service and marketing assistance, performing business and sales analysis, supporting our website functionality, and supporting contests, sweepstakes, surveys and other features offered through our website. These service providers may have access to personal information needed to perform their functions.
- Business partners: When you make purchases, reservations or engage in promotions offered through our website or our services, we may share personal information with the businesses with which we partner to offer you those products, services, promotions, contests and/or sweepstakes. When you elect to engage in a particular merchant’s offer or program, you authorize us to provide your email address and other information to that merchant.
3.2 Other Situations
We also may disclose your information:
- In response to a subpoena or similar legal demand, a court order, or a request for cooperation from a law enforcement or other government agency; to establish or exercise our legal rights; to defend against legal claims; or as otherwise required by law. In such cases, we may raise or waive any legal objection or right available to us, in our sole discretion.
- When we believe disclosure is appropriate in connection with efforts to investigate, prevent, report or take other action regarding illegal activity, suspected fraud or other wrongdoing; to protect and defend the rights, property or safety of our company, our users, our employees, or others; to comply with applicable law or cooperate with law enforcement; or to enforce our website terms and conditions or other agreements or policies.
- In connection with a corporate transaction, such as the sale of our business, a divestiture, merger, consolidation, or asset sale, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy.
3.3 Aggregated and Non-personal Information
We may share aggregated and non-personal information we collect under any of the above circumstances. We may combine non-personal information we collect with additional non-personal information collected from other sources. We also may share aggregated information with third parties, including advisors, investors, and partners for the purpose of conducting general business activities. For example, we may tell our partners the number of members to our website and the most popular lesson accessed.
We recognize the privacy interests of children and we encourage parents and guardians to take an active role in their children’s online activities and interests. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under 13, we will delete such information. Children under the age of 13 may not register for an account or register for or purchase Courses. Individuals under the age of 18 may only use the Services with the involvement, supervision, and approval or a parent or legal guardian.
5. Third-Party Websites
6. Access Your Information
If you have an account with us, you have the ability to review and update your personal information online by logging into your account. You can also review and update your personal information by contacting us. More information about how to contact us is provided below.
7. Choices About Collection and Use of Your Information
You can choose not to provide us with certain information, but that may result in you being unable to use certain features of our website because such information may be required in order for you to register for an account; purchase products or services; participate in a contest, promotion, survey, or sweepstakes; ask a question; or initiate other transactions on our website.
In any commercial e-mail that we send to you, you have the ability to opt out of receiving such messages in the future. We may send you other types of transactional and relationship e-mail communications, such as service announcements, administrative notices, and surveys, without offering you the opportunity to opt out of receiving them. Please note that changing information in your account, or otherwise opting out of receipt of promotional email communications will only affect future activities or communications from us. If we have already provided your information to a third party (such as a credit card processing partner) before you changed your preferences or updated your information, you may have to change your preferences directly with that third party.
8. How We Protect Your Personal Information
We undertake security measures (including physical, electronic and procedural measures) to help safeguard your personal information from unauthorized access and disclosure. For example, only authorized employees are permitted to access personal information, and they may do so only for permitted business functions. In addition, we use encryption in the transmission of your sensitive personal information between your system and ours, and we use firewalls to help prevent unauthorized persons from gaining access to your personal information.
We want you to feel confident using our website to transact business. However, no system can be completely secure. Therefore, although we take steps to secure your information, we do not promise, and you should not expect, that your personal information, searches, or other communications will always remain secure. Users should also take care with how they handle and disclose their personal information and should avoid sending personal information through insecure email. Please refer to the Federal Trade Commission’s website for information about how to protect yourself against identity theft.
9. User Submissions
10. Visiting Our Websites from Outside the United States
11. No Rights of Third Parties
13. How to Contact Us
Web X.0 Media LLC
321 High School Rd NE
Bainbridge Island, WA 98110